Uncontrollable junk mail and telephone directories!
Do you receive way too much junk mail? Here are some tips to lighten your junk mail load:
- Every year, each of us receives almost 560 pieces of junk mail, accounting for 43% of all delivered mail!
- Every year, the US EPA estimates 44% of junk mail isn’t even opened, creating four tons of waste!
- Every year, junk mail uses as much energy as almost three million cars!
- Every year, junk mail consumes100 million trees or approximately 550,000 tons of paper!
- Every year in the US, households receive 540 million unsolicited phonebooks creating an additional 650,000 tons of trash.
- Every week, we typically receive 1.5 personal letters and 11 pieces of junk mail!
- Every day, 250,000 homes could be heated from a single day’s accumulated junk mail!
Be part of the solution
Save trees, water and energy by removing your name (or former employee’s names) from unwanted mailing lists, catalogs and credit card offers!
- Whenever you receive an unwanted catalog, simply call the company and ask to be removed from their mailing list.
- Yellowpagesgoesgreen.org allows you to remove your home or office from receiving telephone directories.
- DirectMail.com provides a free and quick way to get your name off commercial mailing lists.
- OptOutPrescreen.com allows you to opt out of pre-approved credit card and insurance offers online or 1-888-5-OPTOUT.
- CatalogChoice.org is a nonprofit organization that removes your name from specific catalog lists.
- Green Dimes is a private company that charges to remove names from mailing lists.
- EcoLogical Mail Coalition helps businesses stop mail addressed to former employees.
- New American Dream provides information on reducing junk mail and ways to ask Congress for a national “Do Not Junk registry”.
- Make sure you recycle all other unwanted mail/telephone directories.