The SPC Office for Sustainability invites you to bicycle to work on Friday, May 15, 2009
Join hundreds of Pinellas County commuters on Bike to Work Day, a celebration of bicycling as a clean, fun and healthy way to get to work and help Pinellas County become a better place to ride!
Although more than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, biking to work isn’t even a consideration by many people.
So why not consider riding your bike to work on Friday May 15? Bicycling is environmentally friendly as biking reduces your carbon footprint, reduces traffic congestion, and can save you money! Bicycling is healthy as active employees are more alert, take fewer sick days, and are more productive.
Following are some tips that will help you enjoy biking to work more:
- Have your bike checked over by your local bike shop
- Always wear a helmet to protect your head in the event of a crash
- Ride in the right-most lane that goes in the direction that you are traveling
- Obey all stop signs, traffic lights and lane markings
- Look before you change lanes or signal a turn; indicate your intention, then act
- Be visible and predictable at all times; wear bright clothing and signal turns