Stay away from beauty products containing parabens
- Parabens are synthetic preservatives found in shampoos, make-up foundations, shaving gels and even food. These chemicals act as preservatives and extend a product’s shelf life by inhibiting bacterial growth.
- Parabens are similar to estrogen and interfere with natural hormone production. This may lead to weight gain and more importantly, may contain potential links to cancer.
- When washed off in the shower or at the beach, parabens can accumulate in waterways or soil and disrupt the hormones in animals. Scientists say certain animal genetic defects may be the result of paraben pollution.
- Up to 60% of products we place on our skin seeps into our blood stream.
Be Part of the Solution
How can I stay away from parabens?
- Stay away from products containing these chemicals: Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Benzyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid, Methyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid, Ethyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid, Propyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid, Butyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid, Parahydroxybenzoic acid and Parahydroxybenzoate.
- Words like “natural” and “organic” does not mean paraben-free! Don’t be fooled by the front label. You will likely find any parabens printed in small letters at the bottom of the back label.
- Buy organic moisturizing body oils made from organic cocoa butter, sunflower oils, peppermint oil, coconut oil, and organic spearmint oil.
- Visit Cosmetics Database (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com) an on-line safety guide to cosmetics and personal care products. While there, sign the petition!
To learn more about sustainability at St. Petersburg College, contact Jason Green at email@example.com. Then visit http://www.spcollege.edu/sustainability, join the facebook group and follow us at http://twitter.com/sustainableSPC.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.